When you’re an owner of one of the grand luxury homes in the sunny Pacific Palisades, living the good life by the sea is something you can experience daily. However, living large has its downsides – one of them is the constant threat to your security and privacy. Luxury homes do have a tendency to attract attention and some prying eyes may want to do more than just look.
That’s why it only makes sense to equip your property with luxury home security systems that can be tailored according to your needs. Moreover, they can provide a quick response to emergencies and 24/7 monitoring of your property, resulting in your peace of mind.
OVERVIEW OF HOME SECURITY SYSTEMS
Home security systems do exactly what it says on the label: secure your home, keeping it safe from burglaries and also offering functions such as fire and carbon monoxide detection, among many other essential roles. When people hear “home security system,” surveillance cameras, automated door locks, motion sensors, and alarm systems are generally the first to come to mind. But such systems, especially luxury home security systems, have come a long way and continue to develop with the emergence of smart technology and devices. They offer multiple layers of protection and their functions are better integrated and work in concert to secure your home.
You want a home security system to have the following basic capabilities:
- It should prevent unwanted entry by unsavory characters.
- It should have an alarm system in place.
- It should keep a visual record of who goes in and out of your house.
- It should limit access to your house only to its inhabitants and anyone else who has been authorized to enter.
- It should keep you updated on anything that’s happening on your property wherever you are.
- It should allow you and the authorities to take prompt action the moment a home invasion or any untoward incident takes place.
How to select the best security system for your home
When choosing a home security system, there are a few considerations to keep in mind.
- The size of your property: Pacific Palisades luxury homes are typically sprawling; expect these properties to have sizes that start from a few thousand square feet. Having a larger home and vast acreage means there are more entry points for burglars and, therefore, more areas that need to be monitored actively. You should identify what these areas are so you can select the correct system and number of devices to use.
- The cost: Depending on whether you’re getting basic or more advanced security plans, the overall cost will vary. The costs also include installation and activation costs and monthly fees. Extra services, such as professional monitoring, will add to your expenses.
- The security of the system itself: Many home security systems use home automation, which requires them to be connected to the Internet and allows you to customize the system’s controls and access the controls wherever you are. However, this could leave your system open to being hacked if digital security protocols – at the very least, passwords, authentication codes, and encryption – aren’t in place. Having your security system handled professionally minimizes the risk and helps you to understand your role in keeping the system secure. You’ll also want to make sure that the system receives regular patches and firmware or software updates for security,
Fortunately, the home security market is awash with choices that could help secure your home, depending on your needs.
THE STATE OF THE HOME SECURITY MARKETMarketsandMarkets, the global home security systems market size is projected to reach $84.4 billion by 2027, propelled by increasing awareness of home security systems and the availability of various technologies. Video surveillance systems are expected to continue to dominate the market, along with system integration services that ensure unified monitoring and response among your devices.
The smart home security market alone is booming, valued at $28.52 billion in 2023 and projected to reach $54.5 billion by 2028. Remote home monitoring is more accessible to the public now, driven by the availability of smart home technology. Voice assistants such as Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa are being widely adopted in residences and integrate well with any home security system.
The home security system market makes a wide range of devices available, from ones that you can install and set up yourself to more expansive systems that have a rich selection of features.
TOP HOME SECURITY AND PRIVACY SYSTEMS OF 2023
Here’s a selection of some of the best smart home privacy and security systems that will be perfect for Pacific Palisades luxury homes, whether you’re looking for something basic or a more comprehensive system and all-around security solution.
Featuring a base station, your package may include add-ons like motion detectors and door and window sensors. You also get backup Wi-Fi and local processing and storage of data. You can subscribe to Ring Protect Pro to get features like 24/7 professional monitoring, video history, digital arming/disarming, alarm notifications, alarm history, and more. Another bonus of this plan is that you’re not under contract.
Vivint’s system is more expensive than others, but if money is no object, you will get a full package of security services and free home installation. Monthly 24/7 monitoring costs $30 to $45 a month and the system can be integrated with Amazon Alexa, Google Home, and Z-Wave devices. Their Premium Plus package includes 24/7 monitoring, intrusion detection, theft deterrent, video security, and vehicle protection.
Alder’s system is easy enough for you to set up on your own and its makers allow you to control it from anywhere using your phone. One of the things people love most about this home security is the response time. According to their website, their monitoring center’s average response time to more than 2 million medical, fire, and burglary alarms in 2017 was 3.4 seconds or less. Alder’s services come with a three-year contract.
Still considered one of the top names in home security, ADT continues to keep up with the times and innovate its services. Signing up for ADT requires you to retain their services for 36 months. Their Video and Smart Home plan comes with a host of smart home and video monitoring devices, motion detectors, smart door locks, and more. Professional monitoring is available for $61.99 a month. The prices may seem to pile up but ADT frequently offers discounts on their products and services.
SimpliSafe(equipment costs start at $250)
Best known and loved for its easy DIY installation, SimpliSafe has several protection packages that suit different property sizes and types. The Knox is particularly ideal for large homes. It includes two motion sensors, a smoke detector, 6 entry sensors, and a 105 dB siren. It also offers protection even during power outages and you get professional monitoring for one month, courtesy of SimpliSafe’s Fast Protect Monitoring service,
UPCOMING HOME SECURITY AND PRIVACY TRENDS IN 2024
The technology used for home security systems will only continue to develop. That said, we can expect to see more automation and the integration of artificial intelligence in security devices that will improve their efficiency and function. For example, sensors will become a lot smarter as they’ll be able to distinguish between the erratic movements of children, pets, and other animals and those of criminals on your property. As a result, they’ll be able to send out more accurate alerts at the soonest possible time.
An AI-powered home security system will also have the ability to analyze images and video to see patterns and detect if and when a break-in is imminent. Moreover, it can study the occupants’ behaviors and routines, thus, gaining insight into when someone is usually at home. It will then increase security protocols when it accurately determines that the house is unoccupied. AI can also be used to identify exactly who is in your house, recognizing their facial features and voices.
Design is another aspect in which luxury home security systems are expected to evolve. Before, security systems were designed to be noticeable – perhaps, even threatening – thus, clearly signaling to anyone that the house is being monitored. However, criminals have become wise to such devices and know how to spot telltale signs of their presence. Smart home privacy and security systems are increasingly being designed to be discreet to the point where only the homeowners and the installers know where they are – the better to take criminals by surprise and monitor their movements discreetly. Such designs are also being improved and integrated with the look of the home for aesthetic purposes.
TOP SECURITY FEATURES IN PACIFIC PALISADES LUXURY HOMES
When choosing among luxury home security systems, it’s always a good idea to see how other homeowners have gone about securing their own properties. That way, you can have a starting point when figuring out what to install in your own home. Pacific Palisades mansions for sale generally have the following security features:
- Security starts at the gate, where guests are screened with a wireless intercom and a camera before they enter your property, making sure that they are indeed known to you and are expected.
- Homes are generally equipped with a network of surveillance cameras and professional home monitoring systems.
- When it comes to physical security, high hedges, walls, and gates generally keep the houses away from view, offering tons of privacy. Some houses are large enough to have long driveways. This is popularly considered a good way to discourage would-be burglars because it leaves them exposed as they make their way into and out of your property.
Aside from luxury home security systems that are fully automated and connected online, you can also employ a number of methods that can work hand in hand with your system to keep your home safe. Again, home security has different layers.
LOW-TECH AND NO-TECH SOLUTIONS TO BOOST YOUR HOME’S SECURITY AND PRIVACY
While smart home privacy and security systems are undoubtedly effective, as a homeowner, you should still fall back on a few non-technological ways for you to improve your home security. The best home security system still requires your involvement and vigilance, after all, as well as the cooperation of everyone in the household. Here are some reminders to help you keep your home safe:
- When you’re on vacation, don’t leave any indication that the house is empty. This means having your mail and deliveries put on hold so that they don’t pile up uncollected outside your house the whole time you’re gone – an easy clue that no one is around to bring them inside.
- Avoid posting publicly on social media about your vacation while you’re still away. Save the slideshow for when you’re back. That way, you would already be at home by the time people see your pictures and think you’re still on vacation. Making such posts private and limited only to a few friends and family members will keep unwanted eyes out. Depending on the social media account you use, you can control access to every post or keep your account private altogether.
- While you’re away, have a trusted friend or family member check on your house every now and then, just to make sure that nothing is out of order or perhaps to collect the mail and packages that you weren’t able to have on hold.
- Put up physical barriers around your home. A number of Pacific Palisades luxury homes are secured by tall gates and walls. You can also consider adding tall plants and shrubbery around the perimeter of the property – anything that would discourage would-be burglars.
- Enhance your outdoor lighting. It’s much more difficult for criminals to skulk around your property if the area is brightly lit. Your lights should be positioned strategically, illuminating the periphery and access points. Having discreet motion-activated lights dispersed throughout the property would also be a good idea. Given their design, they’d be highly effective in catching any criminals off guard once the sensors kick into action and put these shady characters in the spotlight.
- Ensure the security of your Wi-Fi network at home and all devices connected to the home security system. Your router can be set up so that there are different usernames and passwords for you and your family. You can also have a guest account for friends and family who come to visit. Keep your home security system connected to the main account.
Moreover, each device would have its own password. Avoid using default passwords –use different passwords for each device so that if one device is compromised, it’s less likely that the others will be, too.
At the same time, remember to keep your mobile devices safe. After all, you control your home security system through an app on your device.
- If you have an assistant like Google Assistant or Alexa, you can control them remotely to make it seem as though your house is currently occupied, instructing them to play music and various sounds, such as sounds of people talking, a dog barking, or a baby crying.
If you’re aspiring to be a luxury property owner in Pacific Palisades, you’ll want to know everything there is to know about this coastal neighborhood in Los Angeles – from the real estate to what you can expect about the lifestyle here. In working with an experienced real estate professional, not only will you get the answers to all your questions but you will also have an expert guiding you with the ropes in your purchase until you get the keys to your new Pacific Palisades luxury home.
GET PROPERTY ADVICE FROM AN EXPERT ON PACIFIC PALISADES LUXURY HOMES
With his experience in the luxury real estate market scene going all the way back to 1979, no one knows the Pacific Palisades better than ace luxury Realtor James Respondek. He has decades of experience buying and selling luxury homes, making him one of the trusted names in the field. He has also built up a massive clientele of celebrities and high-net-worth individuals, giving him a unique ability to identify the needs of luxury homebuyers. He continues to be the real estate specialist of choice because of his in-depth knowledge of the community, his discretion, and his strong negotiation skills.